How to clean the silver? Those who love to wear silver jewellery know that silver may tarnish over time. When your silver jewellery turns black, you can easily restore it with a few methods at home. If you are looking for polishing methods for your silver and are wondering how to clean silver ring and other silver jewellery this article may help you.
Silver jewellery is one of the most popular jewellery types after gold. Especially when choosing gifts, we prefer silver that satisfies our hearts with their shine. Although silver jewellery has a beautiful appearance, it can tarnish over time and lose its beauty. We often use silver in our daily life. That's why we must take care of them about their cleaning and protect them from having an old, worn look.
How to Care for Silver Jewellery?
Women prefer to use silver jewellery in their daily lives because they are useful, economical and modern. Silver jewellery, which has a sense of fashion in every period, is indispensable for many women. We want to use our silver accessories like the day we bought them. For this reason, we should care for our silver jewellery.
We would like to use carefully the silver that we bought for ourselves or that someone we love has given us as a gift. If we want silver necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings and other accessories to look good with us for many years, we can keep them new with a few tips;
- Storing in a closed box will limit your silver's contact with air. Preventing it from reacting with sulfur in the air and damaging it.
- Polishing silver accessories by wiping them with microfiber cloths from time to time will renew your silver jewellery.
- It is important to keep them in dry places that are not humid. For example, if you don’t keep them in the bathroom your silver will be brighter for a longer time.
- Since the sweat in the human body is acidic, it can adversely affect your jewellery. After you use it, it is recommended you wipe it with a damp cloth, dry it with a soft cloth and store it in a closed box.
- Silver can be wiped with silver polishers, and maintenance can be done by professional silver repairers from time to time. Besides this, you can clean your silver jewellery very easily with the materials you will find at home.
How To Clean The Silver?
We learned how to prevent silver from tarnishing and how to care for them. But what if your silver jewellery is already tarnished. How to clean the silver?
Jewellery and accessories, which have an important place as our clothes, become unusable after a while due to frequent use and storage in unsuitable conditions. Especially in silver jewellery, tarnishing can be often. Therefore, it is necessary to know how to clean the silver and what to do. Although there are ready-made products that brighten and clean the dark silver, and there are some methods you can practically clean the silver at home. So how to clean the silver? Here are some solutions that you can easily overcome these problems in practical ways…
There are different methods that can be applied against silver tarnishing. With them, you can easily overcome this situation. You can clean your silver jewellery with the materials at home. Toothpaste is one of the most common material to clean your silver jewellery.
Although cleaning jewellery with toothpaste may seem a little unreasonable at first, it will surprise you when you see the result. So how to clean the silver with toothpaste? Here’s how you should do it:
- First, prepare the silver product you want to clean and renew.
- Have toothpaste and a washcloth with you.
- Then fill a bowl with water.
- Apply the toothpaste to the entire product you want to polish.
- Make sure you get toothpaste on all darkened areas.
- Place your item in a bowl of water, with the toothpaste on the product.
- Take your silvers out of the water after about 30 minutes and rinse them through lukewarm water.
- The item that has passed through warm water will feel fresh after wiping it with a damp cloth.
- Finally, you will see with your eyes that your silver jewellery has regained its first-day shine.
Carbonate and Vinegar
The polishing and cleaning process in silver can be done by more than one method. Many of the methods we will mention have been tried at home using natural products and have been successful. One of these methods is carbonate and vinegar.
Vinegar and carbonate are a good choice to clean the silver and give it it’s first-day shine. Vinegar is an acidic material that is used as a disinfectant. It is also the easiest way to clean without damaging materials and to give silver a shiny appearance. If you want to know how to clean your silver ring you should follow these steps:
- Depending on the size of the silver you want to polish and clean, put two spoons of vinegar in some water and boil it.
- Add two spoons of carbonate to hot vinegar.
- Soak the silver product in the resulting mixture.
- In 30 minutes, the silvers will start to shine.
- In the last step, rinse and let it dry.
Lemon and Salt
There are many different methods that you can apply in silver jewellery care. Some of these methods leave a lasting effect, while others provide you with short-term benefits. The important thing in this is of course the practical and time-saving maintenance methods. If you want to know how to clean silver ring with materials in your home, there is another example.
Lemon has an acidic structure just like vinegar. For this reason, it is a material that you can use in silver cleaning to shine silver. Also, salt which is found in almost every home, are materials that you can use to polish silver.
How to Clean Silver Ring?
Do you want to know how to clean silver ring with lemon? These are the steps:
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt and some water. Putting warm water makes it easier to dissolve the salt in the water.
- After the salt dissolves completely, put your silver ring into this mixture.
- Wait for half an hour.
- Then rinse the silverware with water and dry thoroughly.
- If you want to clean the big silver stuff, you can choose to wipe it with this mixture.
Silver Cleansing Cream and Silver Polish
The other method to shine and clean your silver jewellery is to use silver cleansing creams sold in markets. You can apply the silver cleansing cream on your silvers and wipe it with a soft cloth or cotton to clean and polish.
Silver Polish: If you do not want to deal with such methods at home, you can buy silver polishes. Apply this polish, which is much more effective than home methods, on your silvers and rub it with cotton. You will see your silvers shine after a short while. However, it is useful to remind; these substances contain chemicals. So do not apply excessively.
You can renew the silver items that turn yellow and darken using laundry detergent. Here is how to clean jewellery with detergent:
- Add 1 spoon of laundry detergent and 3 glasses of water in a bowl.
- Mix these ingredients and then drop the silver product into it.
- Soak the item in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse the silver materials that have renewed their colour and continue to use by wiping with a cloth.
Ammonia is a substance that lightens and cleanses. So you can use it to renew the silver by lightening the colour.
- Choose a bowl according to your silver item.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of ammonia into the selected bowl and throw the silver item into the bowl.
- Start the cleaning process by adding enough warm water to cover the silver material.
- After half an hour, rinse your silverware through water and dry it with a damp cloth.
You will definitely see the difference.
Aluminium foil, which is very useful in the kitchen, can be used for cleaning silver jewellery.
- Fill a deep bowl with water and pour 1 spoon of baking soda over this water.
- Cut a handful of aluminium foil and add it to the water.
- Soak your silver necklace or tiny decor in this water and take it out.
- Do the same process several times.
With this method, you can easily clean your silver jewellery.
Did you know that you can shine your silver with banana peels?
You can easily clean silver objects such as necklaces, rings and bracelets with a banana peel.
- All you have to do is to rub the silver item you want to shine with a banana peel.
- Leave the silver covered with the gel-like liquid of the banana for half an hour to 1 hour.
- Finally, wipe it with a damp cloth.
- By doing this process several times, you will also delay the possibility of your silver getting dark quickly.